The name Blum stands for innovation, dedicated employees and top quality products.
Julius Blum, a farrier and carriage smith by trade, founds his company on 1 March 1952.
His first product is a horseshoe stud which prevents horses from slipping.
Julius Blum GmbH is entirely family-owned.
CEO: Mag. Gerhard E. Blum (born in 1954)
- Consolidated sales, Blum Group € 1,656.17 mill. / + 6.5 % compared to previous year
- Sales per employee, Blum Group € 241.80
- Share of foreign sales (outside Austria) 97%
- Sales broken down to business regions EU 50%, USA 15%, other markets 35%
- Investment/fixed capital assets € 173.64 million (€ 120.56 million in Vorarlberg)
- Current number of employees (as at 30 June 2016):
- Employees in the Blum Group 6,929 people (+ 321 compared to previous year)
- Employees in Vorarlberg 5,299 people (+ 287 compared to previous year)
- Blum has 28 subsidiaries and representative offices.
- Blum regularly supplies its products to customers in more than 120 countries worldwide.
- Blum exhibits at more than 40 trade shows the world over every year.
- 7 plants in Vorarlberg (in Höchst, Fußach, Gaißau, Bregenz and Dornbirn; construction work for an 8th plant in Dornbirn began in the spring of 2016)
- Blum USA
- Blum Brazil
- Blum Poland
“We believe that a meaningful ecological strategy also makes business sense in the long term.
We strive to implement measures to protect the environment in as many of our areas of activity as possible.”
(excerpt from the “Blum Orientation”)
Blum has traditionally striven to be as gentle on our environment and the resources it provides as possible. Our main focus here is on
- comprehensive use of reusable packaging,
- efficient use of building land by building multi-storey buildings,
- optimum insulation of buildings meeting the standards of single-family houses,
- recuperation of heat from production processes for heating purposes,
- the use of groundwater for air-conditioning and cooling of machines,
- use of recyclable raw materials in production,
- use of alternative forms of energy, such as photovoltaic systems installed in several plants and at various production sites.
Further examples of the wide-ranging environmental protection efforts of Blum are eco audits and certifications granted by external organisations.
We were successfully ISO 14001 certified as early as 1997 (ISO 14001 is an internationally recognised environmental management system).
In 2012, we received certification under the globally recognised energy management system ISO 50001.
Quality and sustainability are inseparably linked at Blum. Our all-encompassing approach to quality is not limited to products alone.
Services and cooperation with our customers and business associations are to meet the same high quality standards.
The company sets the greatest store on establishing long-term, reliable and trustworthy partnerships in all areas.
With its consistent investment in research and development, the family enterprise has for many years held the position of reliable
supplier for the furniture trade and as the innovative industry leader. Numerous Blum inventions and product developments are considered
milestones in furniture manufacture, such as Blumotion, the award-winning dampening system for gentle and quiet closing of pull-outs,
doors and lifts that received the European Inventor Award for hinge systems from the European Patent Office (EPO) in May 2013.
The fittings manufacturer from Höchst also holds top places in the annual Austrian patents ranking.
The annual expenditure for research & development is about 4% of the turnover.
In all our development efforts, we never lose sight of the entire value chain. Our goal is to provide real benefits for everyone
using Blum products and services: The people buying the furniture are happy because their furniture is both beautiful and functional.
The fitter appreciates the ease of assembly. The sales person has convincing selling points to hand, and the manufacturer of
furniture profits from innovative product systems and rational production.